"Dream Rider", however, is a pain. It is the track from the original album where I didn't have enough voice to sing it when I was trying to track it in the key that I had written it in (do we see a pattern here?), so we electronically pitch-shifted my poor guitar to a key where I could sort of sing it, although it became the funkiest sounding 12-string ever. (Remember, we're talking about technology that is now 25 years old.) I have never quite forgiven the poor song for this.
So the song was originally written in D. When I finally decided I was going to have to beat this song into submission again, I took advantage of 25 years of additional practice and transposed it to G, which is a much better key to sing it in right now.
I pulled it out today to practice it, because that seemed like a good idea before deciding to really annoy myself in the studio while messing it up. And I have now interpolated a new set of chords to go between verses and a variant on that progression to go into the big, huge, canyonesque pause in the final line of the third verse.
I am much happier with the song now.
With any luck, I'll record it tomorrow. :)