In one of those things that surprised me, it appears that there's no one in our group who really understands how to configure a WebLogic WorkManager -- either the one that is integrated into JDeveloper or the standalone version. The problem is that the default WorkManager will run wild if we hand it a large consolidation to run and will gleefully consume all of the available resources on the machine, so I really need to put some constraints on the process. And while I could try to put those in front of the WorkManager calls, the right place to put them is into the running WorkManager.
If only I knew how to do this. And I applied an awful lot of Google-fu to the process, but -- although there are many places that reference the constraints and sort of talk about how they work -- there isn't really a good set of examples for how to implement them.
Eventually though, I found enough breadcrumbs that I was able to figure out how to get this working in JDev. And once I figured that out, I was able to translate things out into the standalone WorkManager.
I'm sure there are a number of improvements that we can make to my configuration.