Bill Roper (billroper) wrote,
Bill Roper
billroper

Refactoring Blues

A while back, in order to improve the general behavior of my code in the Java environment, I changed a place where I was storing hot pointers to store IDs that could be used to look up the hot pointers instead. And the behavior became much better and cleaner.

Today, I realized that the behavior might be cleaner, but any "rename" operation on the objects that were referred to by the IDs was going to fail. See, when you're storing hot pointers, you can just rename the IDs that are internal to the objects that are being pointed to. When you are storing IDs, you have to find all of the objects that are storing the IDs and update them.

Phooey.

The C++ code is now updated; the Java code will follow shortly.

At least I found this myself...
Tags: coding, computers, musings, work
Subscribe

  • Reporting In

    Gretchen and I went to the doctor for a fasting blood draw this morning. We'll see how the results are. This afternoon, Gretchen went *back* in that…

  • Steps

    Today is better than yesterday. Still short on solutions, but maybe I can get some time to sort things out. Thanks, folks.

  • Well, That Escalated Quickly

    Today could have been better. Much better.

  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 4 comments