See, the conversion was over the weekend. I have managed to activate two of the three online banking accounts that I work with, but the third is tied to a phone number that -- as nearly as I can tell -- no longer exists, so the automatic procedures aren't working.
Oh, and a personal money market account that I closed last year has shambled, zombie-like, back into existence with a $0.00 balance.
Also, I would like to be able to pay some bills, but although I have all of the account numbers, I do not have the routing number for the bank in any of the voluminous correspondence that they have sent.
I understand the first two of the three problems that I am dealing with, but the third seems just a bit silly.