September 27th, 2014

One!

Well, that's been a roller coaster in the last 24 hours.

The Cardinals coughed up a three run lead late last night in the eighth inning (and were lucky not to fall behind -- only a ball bouncing into the stands for a ground-rule double kept the Diamondbacks from taking the lead). But they went to extra innings tied 6-6, scored one in the top of the 10th, and then Trevor Rosenthal pitched a perfect bottom of the 10th for the save, keeping the Cards a game in front of the Pirates (who had beaten the Reds earlier in the evening) and cutting their magic number down to two.

The Reds got out to an early lead over the Pirates today, but coughed it up, falling behind 6-4 in the seventh. But they then scored two in the bottom of the frame and that game went to extra innings. A few minutes ago, a two-out grand slam in the bottom of the 10th gave the Reds a 10-6 win and cut the Cards magic number down to one.

So, all you Cardinal ballplayers -- you could win one more tonight and take the pressure off. The Cards fans wouldn't mind at all... :)

Rewiring

I'm in the process of rebuilding the studio -- with luck, into a configuration that will last for the foreseeable future. This means that I'm looking to sell my Mackie d8b mixer and a bunch of the rack mount gear. I've gotten a nibble on the mixer, so it was time to go down to the studio and make sure that everything was working properly. I booted up the mixer and took the requisite pictures.

Then I decided that I ought to test the backup mixer CPU / power supply that I bought some years ago as a spare and never opened. All I had to do was get it out of the box that it came in and take it into the studio.

And then open it up and replace the battery. And then wire it up to the d8b.

Except that I couldn't disentangle the cables that connected the working CPU to the d8b so that I could use them to connect to the spare CPU for testing. They were trapped in the tangle of cables under the console.

So I unplugged everything. This didn't help much.

So then I took out the patch bays and unwired them. Still not much help.

Then I removed a mass of rack mount gear. Well, now I could see what I was doing.

In the meantime, I covered up the pool table and moved the old d8b out of the studio and onto the pool table. At this point, I realized something that I should have remembered.

There is no shelf under the mixer. And I was planning to put things on that non-existent shelf.

Oops.

So in the near future, I will be heading out to Home Depot and picking up a piece of half-inch oak plywood to fill the hole.

After I finish untangling the cables...