July 29th, 2015

Missed It By *That* Much

Because I did a lot of the early code for our Java port as a proof of concept, the porting was not as systematic as I might have hoped, because I needed to demonstrate that various bits and pieces worked as I went, rather than pulling the whole thing over in one huge operation. This had advantages and disadvantages.

The advantage was we could see things working.

This disadvantage was that one of our major subsystems only got ported as a skeleton.

I have spent the last week and a half putting meat onto that skeleton, which involved a major rewrite of some fifteen year old code of mine.

Happily, I am better at design and coding than I was fifteen years ago. But the rewriting is killing me.

There is a light at the end of the tunnel. I am fairly sure it is not a train. :)