April 4th, 2016

Bill vs. The Obscure Documentation

In one of those things that surprised me, it appears that there's no one in our group who really understands how to configure a WebLogic WorkManager -- either the one that is integrated into JDeveloper or the standalone version. The problem is that the default WorkManager will run wild if we hand it a large consolidation to run and will gleefully consume all of the available resources on the machine, so I really need to put some constraints on the process. And while I could try to put those in front of the WorkManager calls, the right place to put them is into the running WorkManager.

If only I knew how to do this. And I applied an awful lot of Google-fu to the process, but -- although there are many places that reference the constraints and sort of talk about how they work -- there isn't really a good set of examples for how to implement them.

Eventually though, I found enough breadcrumbs that I was able to figure out how to get this working in JDev. And once I figured that out, I was able to translate things out into the standalone WorkManager.

I'm sure there are a number of improvements that we can make to my configuration.

But this will do for today.