August 6th, 2020

Intractable Problems Solved Cheap

So we've been trying to port our code up from Visual Studio 2010 to Visual Studio 2019 for a bit less than two years now. (I started aiming for Visual Studio 2017, but that eventually became an obsolete target.) Most of the code appeared to be working, but when it was finally tested by our QE team, an intractable bug popped up.

The intractable bug has been sitting there for some obscene length of time. In the last two days, we have spent four hours on a session with the other group in our company that is trying to talk to our code across COM in order to make this work. Today's session didn't manage to solve the problem either.

About ten minutes after the session ended, I went to my machine and fixed the problem by setting one switch in the compile.

My Google-fu is strong, but it really helps when you finally find out what is going wrong in the communications protocols.


We'll see if this fix sticks...