April 10th, 2021

Closer To Fine

So the cabinets went in today, which is good.

There are, sadly, two problems. First, there is a measurement glitch which resulted in the cabinets along one wall being three inches short of the correct span. I think I know how this happened; we now need to figure out the best way to correct it. I think this can be done without needing any additional parts (assuming there's enough slack in the crown molding), but we'll need to talk it through. If I'm right, then we should be able to measure for countertops without much difficulty.

The second problem is that the installers cut the hole for the outlet in the island too high, so that the electrical box wouldn't fit against the drawer. The hole is now much too large and we're trying to figure out the best way to cover it up. This is a bit of a challenge to do without turning it into a curiosity, but we'll figure out something.

We also discovered that it is going to be absolutely vital to install handles on the cabinet doors, because it is really, really difficult to open some of them without having handles. I have ordered the handles, which should arrive tomorrow.

But progress is being made! I even unpacked a box. It was the box full of chips, but it was a box nonetheless.