We arrived home to find the house still here, but an alarm going off in the basement. Apparently, an enormous can of "denatured alcohol solvent" decided to develop a pinhole leak and the basement is now saturated with ethanol and methanol fumes. Our gas detector is having a fit. If it doesn't give up, sooner or later I'll unplug it so we can get some sleep, having opened all the windows in the basement to give the stuff a chance to dissipate after removing the box that the can had been in -- along with its alcohol-sodden contents -- to the backyard.
Meanwhile, we're hoping that fuzzbucket_cat will forgive us for our two week absence, but he's sulking in the back yard right now. I don't think he likes the gas alarm either.