This afternoon, I finally shook the assorted buglets out of the subsystem -- or so I thought! I ran a little test and discovered that one thing wasn't working correctly at all.
Then I went back to the previous version. It doesn't work at all there either; nor, it turns out, does it have anything to do with the code I've been working on. It's the reporting subsystem sending me an incomplete data specification and getting garbage back.
So I've written a bug against the reports. :)
I'll test my code a bit more in the morning, then check in the big, ugly change so that I can start to write the fun bit of code that I set out to write a while back.
And later, we'll go back and finish implementing the nice, new feature that we'll get from the big code modification that I made.
Infrastructure. Gotta have it.