I understand when code doesn't work. I've written plenty of things that didn't operate the way that they were supposed to and I've had to go back and fix them. What I have trouble understanding is incomplete code checked in and claimed as being complete.
I've found at least two major things wrong in this set of functions, both of which I think I've now fixed. I'm going to have to write a completely new interface against the data, because the existing system chokes and dies when asked to return 7200 data points, which doesn't seem to be that many to me, nor -- I suspect! -- to our customers. That interface will be the one I asked for in the first place, but was told that I didn't need.
Ok, I need it.
And now I will write it myself.