Bill Roper (billroper) wrote,
Bill Roper
billroper

Mule Chest

Classic Oak Designs called yesterday to let us know that the mule chest that we'd ordered for the bedroom had arrived. We headed over there after lunch today to pick it up.

We had ordered the mule chest to replace the two dressers that had been in our bedroom since 1992/3 or thereabouts. My dresser was still fine, but daisy_knotwise's was a bit wobbly. And therein hangs a tale.

After Carol moved out before our divorce, I spent time staring at various pieces of furniture that I owned. One such piece was the really cheap student-grade dresser that my parents had bought me when I moved into a house in 1979. It had never been much of a piece of furniture and the laminate and particle board had hardly improved with age. It had, in fact, worked its way down the food chain to "time to replace".

I was wandering through Home Depot one day when I saw that they'd gotten a shipment of assemble-it-yourself and stain-it-yourself pine dressers. I figured that this was something that I could handle, so I bought two, being fairly certain that I would never see them on sale again and hoping that I would someday again have a use for matching dressers.

I put my dresser together, stained it, and declared it to be good. The other dresser and the remaining stain went unassembled into storage in the basement.

Some time not too long after that, Doug and Gretchen decided that it was time that they got divorced. Although Gretchen would have liked to spend some time living by herself, it wasn't really financially feasible, so we decided that she'd move in with me while we waited for the divorce to be final.

"There's just one thing," I said. "Before you move in, you have to build your dresser."

"Excuse me?"

"You need some place to put your clothes. There's a matching dresser in the basement -- you just need to put it together and stain it."

And so Gretchen assembled her dresser, perhaps a bit more hurriedly than I'd assembled mine. In any case, over the years, it proved to be a bit less on-true than mine, the drawers wanted to stick, the back wanted to pop, and it was being generally annoying.

So we bought a mule chest to replace the pair of dressers. It's just a bit larger in terms of storage space than the two dressers, but fits in the same space.

And it turns out that they call it a mule chest because it weighs about the same as a full-grown mule. It almost fit in the back of the van -- the guys at the store tied down the hatch so we could get it home.

Then I tried to lift it out of the van. It turned out to be rather heavier than I'd anticipated, even based on its size. Apparently Baker Road builds these things out of neutronium.

One of our neighbors saw us fighting with it and offered to help us carry it in. I thanked him and told him that we'd take him up on it, just as soon as we removed the drawers. This not only lessened the weight, but provided a fine set of handholds.

In the door and up the stairs it went. The skids were removed, the glides hammered in, the chest uprighted, drawers inserted, and -- as I type -- Gretchen is finishing the transfer of her things to the new chest.

Mine are already moved. And I find, after cleaning out some things that no longer fit, that I've got an empty drawer. This turns out to be a good place to put some of the stuff that's been in my closet looking for a better home.

We win.
Tags: gretchen, home, musings
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 3 comments