Unfortunately, I discovered yesterday that Adobe has decided that it's good business policy to screw over their users with their copy protection, the version on Creative Suite CS2 being incompatible with Vista, which is pretty much what you have to get with a new machine. This can be fixed with a $600 upgrade. Scum.
But I've gotten the machine reconfigured and working other than for software supplied by scum. I even managed to get PC-Pine working for Gretchen which should make her happy.
The last part of this was accomplished while Katie was awake after her nap, during which time she scattered two bags of 18-inch long, multi-colored pipe cleaners around the room. They're back in the bags now.
I'm not sure if any other mayhem has occurred. *sigh*