Bill Roper (billroper) wrote,
Bill Roper

One Project Done

Several days ago, I started trying to replace the battery in the mixer's CPU. Unfortunately, the CPU is rackmounted in a position which is out of the way -- so much so that wrestling it out, removing the 16 screws, opening the case, replacing the battery, closing the case, replacing the screws, and putting it back in the rack is not just a job, it's an adventure.

When I was done, the CPU didn't recognize the keyboard, so I couldn't reset the BIOS. I concluded that the keyboard had come partially undone and needed to be plugged back in. The only problem was that it was underneath a trans-Atlantic cable worth of patch cords plugged into the back of the patchbay above the CPU. And those cords were taut enough that they tended to pop out. *grumble*

Tonight, I unplugged each cable from the back of the patchbay, labeled it, and set it aside. Then I plugged the keyboard back in, verified that it was recognized, reset the mixer BIOS, and booted successfully. Then I plugged all of the patch cords back in. In theory, everything should be working now.

I hope.

In other news, Gretchen and I started working on the last sketch that we're responsible for writing for the ConClave show, but Gretchen was feeling a bit under the weather, so she crawled off to bed after we watched "Scrubs", which left me free to go work on Cablefest in the basement.

With luck, she'll feel better in the morning after a good night's sleep.
Tags: filk, musings, spacetime, tech

  • I'm Going Back To Work, I'm Going Back To Work

    I spent more time today working over designs than coding, but that's ok. Getting the design right makes the coding easier. And more likely to work...

  • Swept

    The weather was relatively cool today, so Gretchen and I went out and spent some time trying to get the garage into a state where it could be cleaned…

  • Everybody's Got a Recipe For Dumplings

    These things happen in our household. Gretchen and I were driving home from lunch and listening to Radio Margaritaville when our discussion turned…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded