But today, I thought of the condition of the wires running from the NIC into the house and decided to replace them. How hard could that be?
Harder than you'd think, because the end of the conduit stub is now in the ceiling of the engineering half of the recording studio. And the first thing I did was pull out the working wire. I tried pushing the new wire through, but couldn't see it. I tried taping it to a second old wire that had been used when my DSL was on a dry pair, but couldn't pull it through. It turns out that was the wire that was in such bad shape that the insulation was cracking off in my hands as I pulled on it. Fortunately, it wasn't carrying any signal.
Unfortunately, it wasn't going to serve as a temporary replacement either.
Finally, I called Jerry. Jerry came over with a electrician's fish tape.
Which we couldn't find either when we pushed it through the stub. *sigh*
Eventually, we took the drill and the jigsaw and cut a hole in the ceiling so we could find the end of the tape and pull the wire through. And now I have phone and Internet again.
And there was much rejoicing.