Finally, everything was set up correctly, the guitar was tuned, and I was ready to record. I grabbed my handy Frontier Designs Tranzport remote control, pushed a button to wake it up, and --
Well, the little green light came on, but there was nothing in the display. Ack!
It turns out that I had upgraded from Cubase 4 to Cubase 5 since the last time I'd used the beastie. And although Cubase 5 claimed that it was talking to the Tranzport, the Tranzport firmly disagreed.
So I went to the Frontier Designs website. And there, I discovered that they'd discontinued the product. (Obviously, because it was way too useful.) But they had a new set of drivers. I downloaded them and installed them.
And still no luck. Hmm. That was supposed to work.
Eventually, I fired up Cubase 4 and did the recording there, which meant that the Tranzport worked and I didn't have to call daisy_knotwise down to the basement to push the record button. I may yet figure out how to get the thing working. Maybe even later tonight.
At least I had my hardware problem out of the way for the weekend.
Until I discovered on the drive to Michigan that the power switch on my Creative Zen MP3 player was broken. *sigh* Everything I see suggests that particular problem is unrepairable.
So I have a nice new iPod Touch which Gretchen agreed that I could have as a very early birthday present. It seems very nice.
It also now has Steinberg's Cubase remote control app loaded on it. If only it would work with a footswitch for punch ins. :)