Bill Roper (billroper) wrote,
Bill Roper

Dat's DAT

It appears that the reason that I was having real trouble getting the screws that were holding the transport on my DAT deck out was that I was using a Phillips screwdriver that was too small. When I grabbed a #2 Phillips screwdriver from another kit, the screws popped loose immediately. I figured that out some time last week.

Today, I came downstairs, pulled the transport, replaced the offending belt, and put everything back together. Then I put a brand-new DAT tape in and let it run for a bit, because I didn't trust it to behave and I didn't want to start with something irreplaceable that I really needed.

The brand-new DAT tape worked fine, so I moved up the irreplaceable scale to my recording of the Black Book Band concert at Duckon a few years ago. When that one passed muster, I put in the first of my old master tapes: Julia Ecklar's "Walkabout".

So far, so good. I have a little bit of work to do on the first track and some clean up to do, since this is a nearly 20 year old master tape intended for cassette, but it's looking good at this point.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Tags: filk, home, musings, tech

  • Time for Rebuilding

    Well, there's nothing like research. Having determined that DDR5 is going to carry a substantial price premium over DDR4 memory for at least a year…

  • Driven Wild

    The studio computer continues to misbehave in various ways. When I fired up Cubase today, I got a lot of nasty, blocky video, despite having cleaned…

  • Some Old Doggerel

    I recall having mangled a CSN tune many years ago on the way to Contraption. Like that convention, the particular co-worker whose code I was digging…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded