So I figured out the solution, sent out an e-mail about the two problems (copying the programmer who had made the bad security assumptions), and go to make the change to fix the first problem -- so that QE can work! -- when I discover that the file I need to modify has already been changed by the aforementioned programmer a bit earlier this afternoon.
I look over the change. The second problem still isn't fixed. And I find he's sent one of his usual "please don't touch the code" e-mails to everyone that I'd been talking to in response to mine.
So I respond that the second problem still doesn't appear to be fixed.
And I have turned off the fricking work computer for the duration.
I am disgusted.