Bill Roper (billroper) wrote,
Bill Roper
billroper

For Want of a...

So the studio has been down for three months. First, I discovered that I'd lost one of the hard drives in the recording computer and that the power supply seemed flaky. So I replaced the power supply and snagged a replacement drive. Unfortunately, the replacement drive wasn't going to work in the machine, suggesting that the motherboard had flaked out.

Rather than continue to mess around with that, I bought a new motherboard, CPU, and RAM. If only I had bought a motherboard and CPU that matched. (Intel changed the socket without changing the part name. Oops.) And neither was returnable. The processor was the part I wanted to keep, but it turned out that Intel had recalled all of the matching motherboards because they'd made a mistake in the silicon, so that meant waiting nearly a month to get a working motherboard. And when I installed it, everything was fine.

Except that I'd upgraded to Windows 7 64-bit in the transition and there were no drivers for my audio interface card for that version. Or for my SCSI card, which I had been using to run my external CD burner. So I junked the external CD burner in favor of the internal one and bought a new audio interface card that was less than 10 years old.

I also decided that the video card from the old machine was also flaky, so I bought a new one. Only the case is left standing from the old machine. *sigh*

And then I found out that one of the monitor speakers had blown. So I took it to the repair shop. Two months later, I got it back. And wired it up today. And everything is finally working.

So the first thing to do was to finally do the transfer of the old master for The Grim Roper from the 8-track tape to Cubase. After making sure that everything was running correctly, I grabbed the Octopre -- which has the best 8-channel A/D converters that I've got -- and the 8-track deck. And I went to look for my 10 foot optical cables to patch in the Octopre.

Which I don't have. They were used to patch in the additional channels on the new interface card. Ok, I could cannibalize those.

Except that the Octopre line-ins come in through a Tascam-format DB25 connector. The outputs from the 8-track deck are RCA connectors. So I need an 8-channel DB25 to RCA snake.

I've just ordered one off of eBay. And I'll pick up the optical cables at Gand next week.

Maybe next weekend I can finally do this transfer.

*sigh*
Subscribe
  • Post a new comment

    Error

    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded 

  • 4 comments